Obesity is the biggest health concern we face today. Unwanted weight gain not only leads to various diseases but also calls for immediate attention. To manage weight issues and combat the main culprit behind weight gain, here are some simple tips to lower excess fat and keep your body toned and fit:
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is crucial for regulating body temperature and maintaining hydration. Proper hydration is essential for effective fat burning. Follow these guidelines:
- Start your day with a large portion of warm water.
- Drink water before meals.
- Consume water 30 minutes before exercising, sipping every fifteen minutes, and having an additional portion afterward.
- Drink water when craving snacks to feel fuller.
- Feeling thirsty indicates dehydration, so replenish lost water by drinking enough.
- Drinking cool water during mid-morning and afternoon can provide refreshment.
- Drinking water before bedtime can boost metabolism and prevent heart issues.
2. Opt for a Low Carbohydrate Diet: Carbohydrates contain insulin, a hormone that stores fat. By adopting a low carbohydrate diet, you can reduce insulin levels and store less fat. Include more low glycemic index (GI) food items to reduce hunger cravings and increase satiety. Examples of low GI foods are:
- Whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, unprocessed oats, and legumes.
- Lean meats like chicken and turkey.
- Nuts and seeds such as flax seeds and sesame seeds.
- Fruits and vegetables like apples, blueberries, oranges, carrots, aubergine, peas, etc.
3. Incorporate High Protein Foods: Proteins increase muscle mass and maintain healthy tissues. They contain amino acids that help consume body fat. However, be cautious as excessive protein can be harmful. Good protein sources include:
- Beans and pulses
- Low-fat meat
- Low-fat dairy products
- Fish-based diet including tuna and salmon
4.Include Good Fats: Foods high in good fats provide satisfaction without causing rapid insulin responses like high GI carbs. Stable sugar levels, due to minimal insulin fluctuations, allow the body to effectively utilize stored fat. Examples of good fats include:
- Olive, coconut, and sesame oils
- Seeds and nuts like almonds, macadamias, walnuts, flax seeds, etc. Moderate consumption of saturated fats found in lean meats, egg dishes, coconut, peanuts, etc., supports better body functioning and metabolism.
5. Engage in Cardio Workouts: Half an hour to an hour of exercise can greatly help those with a slower metabolism. Alternatively, high-intensity interval training can burn more fat. Here are some interval training exercises:
- Perform Burpees for thirty seconds: Start with hands down to the level of your feet, then squat, transition to the plank position, return to the squat position, and finish with a high jump.
- Rest for a minute.
- Do spot running, bringing each knee to the level of your buttocks with thighs parallel to the ground.
- Relax for a minute.
- Practice jumping jacks for thirty seconds.
- Rest for one minute.
- Perform squats with a straight back, knees in line with your feet, lowering your buttocks below your knees.
- Rest again for about one minute.
These tips will help you tackle stubborn fat and achieve a healthier and more appealing physique.